Friday, July 10, 2009

if the job doesn't kill ya the hamburger's might....

*NOTE: this photograph is NOT taken at a Chayvo dinner table

Probably the most popular conversation topic in Chayvo camp is food. Today's lunch is compared to yesterday's dinner and tomorrow's breakfast will be judged against last week's dessert. It doesn't matter what is being discussed and with whom. Eventually the conversation will digress to food topics. "Remember the previous catering company and how good their meals were?" or "was your hamburger raw in the middle too?" For months we had no fresh vegetables and only occasional fresh fruit. Then they brought in the ice cream machine that was supposed to divert our attention away from the half cooked dinners. Of course it worked! Unfortunately machines have a habit of breaking down just when there's a terrible dinner. So half the time you can count on a paper cup of ice cream if nothing else. The food is much better at the Bridge Camp so our crew spends most coffee breaks indulging in tasty pastries and kasha in the country kitchen atmosphere. Robin Friend, Veco Project Manager's most memorable comment at any of the weekly site safety meetings was "is it too much to ask for a firm stool????" The up side of the poor food is you are inclined to lose weight so many of us returned home much slimmer. The only people who actually gained weight were some of the locals who were eating better than they do at home. Most of the Russian surveyors stated that they hate the food as much as the expats so generally speaking the topic of food is an excellent opportunity to vent daily frustrations.

I love peas I love peas I love peas I love peas I love peas I love peas

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i agree but hamburgers taste so good haha

Bludshotiiiiis said...

they do taste good Wildcat and I'm going to eat one right now, maybe two, with fries and lots of ketchup!
Yummmmmmmy! :-)

Annie said...

Dunno about you, but I really loved the dinners there, especially the ice-cream on Fridays!
Maybe I'm just one of those locals who "eating better than they do at home" :)

Bludshotiiiiis said...

when I first got there the food was excellent but then the catering company changed and the food went downhill for awhile. Then it did get better with only the occasional meal where I had to fill up on ice cream :-) Wasnt friday pizza night?? I still remember those delicious pizza's!and maybe that was disco night too?? Annie I ate better in Chayvo than I do now at home!! LOL !!

Annie said...

John, LOL! Yep, Friday was also a pizza night, and a disco night, but I hadn't often hanged out because was sleepy most of the time.
I somehow don't remember that time when the catering company changed - maybe it happened when I was not there

Bludshotiiiiis said...

it happened in late August or September of 2004 so maybe before you arrived in Chayvo?? Up till then the food was fantastic. :-)