Thursday, July 9, 2009

All bumpy roads lead to Chayvo


Actually its the only road that connects Nogliki with Chayvo and travel times vary depending on the weather and road conditions. This photo shows the road a little dusty but otherwise in excellent condition.











The only sign of pavement (2005) is a 1 km section through the village of Val.











This totem pole is located off the shoulder of the road and my driver had the courtesy to point it out to me.














You get around any way you can on Sakhalin and sometimes that means pushing a load of lumber down the rails by hand.

2 comments:

Annie said...

I remember this road so well! But I have never noticed the totem - where was it?

Bludshotiiiiis said...

hi Annie, I don't remember exactly but its on the right hand side of the road as you drive from Nogliki to Chayvo. You pull off the road onto that sandy area and maybe you cant see the totem from the main road but its not far off the road. :-)